Business Quote Homeowners Quote Automobile Quote Life & Health Quote

You might not think there will come a time when you’ll need both renters and homeowners insurance. You will likely never need these policies on the same property, that’s true. However, times may arise when you need home coverage on one property and renters on another. image of home How can you maximize savings and coverage on these separate policies?

Most people don’t need both types of coverage. However, options for buying both types of coverage simultaneously do exist.

The Similarities of Renters Insurance and Home Coverage

Homeowners insurance and renters insurance are both types of property coverage. However, they differ in the types of properties they cover. Homeowners insurance covers the assets of a home owned (in most cases) by the resident. It can also cover properties someone rents to others. Renters coverage insures a property where the resident holds a lease and pays rents.

The largest difference in these types of coverage are their structural protection component. If you own a home, you own the structure (the building). Yet, you don’t own the building (and often some of the furnishings) in rented properties. Therefore, homeowners insurance will often include structural coverage, while renters insurance won’t. Still, both types of coverage will have similarities, like liability and possessions coverage.

Why You Might Need Both Coverage Elements

You generally cannot own and rent a home at the same time. Thus, most people assume that they’ll never need both types of coverage. When you stop renting and buy a home, you’ll likely switch policies. However, times might still arise to get both types of coverage.

Let’s say your child is going to college. They’ll live in an off-campus apartment. They will likely need renters insurance for their own protection in this property.

Many parents will have a financial interest in their child’s rental. Some might even have to sign as a guarantor on the child’s lease. In this case, it’s often a good idea for both the parent and the child to list themselves as insured on the renters policy. That adds protection for parents' own investment in the rental.

In such a case, you might find yourself needing to carry a home and renters insurance policy. Your insurance agent can better advise you on the appropriate course of action. Often, you can bundle these policies through the same insurer. That might allow you to tap into savings offered by buying your coverage from the same supplier. You might also avoid inconveniences managing coverage, and possible holes in your policies.

If you think you need both renters and homeowners insurance, contact your agent at a location nearest you - Mid-Cities 817-589-0006, Ft. Worth 817-626-3339 or Mansfield/Arlington 817-453-5524. They can help you determine if this coverage will prove necessary.

Also Read: Which Home Require Flood Insurance?

Posted 1:58 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012
  • 2011
  • 2010

View Mobile Version
Quick Links Our Latest Blog Featured Service
Make a Payment
Employee Directory
Our Reviews
Mechanical Inspection
Featured Service
Need help assessing your vehicle's repairs? Let us evaluate it for you.
read more... learn more...
Home|Locations|Get a Quote|Employees|Make a Payment|File a Claim|Testimonials|About|Contact
dotted divider
Mid-Cities Location
7716 Glenview Dr.
Richland Hills, TX 76180
Phone: (817) 589-0006
Fort Worth Location
5840 Jacksboro Hwy
Fort Worth, TX 76114
Phone: (817) 626-3339
Mansfield/Arlington Location
1209 N Highway 157
Mansfield, TX 76063
Phone: (817) 453-5524
Serving the Dallas-Fort Worth area in Texas.
© Copyright 2017. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder
Social Networking Review us on Google Blog RSS Feed Follow on Twitter Connect on LinkedIn Like us on Facebook